Those of you who are familiar with the South Asian cuisine MUST know what kulfa is. A delicious ice-cream with nuts and served in many ways, flavors and forms. Cinnamon, rose, vanilla, pistachio and saffron are some of its commonly found flavors. The traditional kulfa is made with many Organic and authentic ingredients like fresh milk and heavy creams, the reason for its richness and denser form.
But if you are a Kulfa lover and live in the part of the world where you don’t find Kulfa shops at all, Or if you, like me want to try every dessert at home then this one is a perfect, easy and homey recipe for you. Just three ingredients !! yes you read it right …. 3 basic and easily available ingredients which will give you a satisfying and divine taste of traditional kulfa.
Try this recipe and you will definitely make it over and over again. I am sure your guests will never believe you have made it by yourself with just 3 basic items. The only tricky and effort-some part is the making process. The mixture needs to be beaten 4 times in 4 episodes and finally it freezes overnight.
Evaporated Milk – 1 tin (385 ml)
Cream (whipping or thick) – 300 ml
Sugar (fine) – 1 cup
Almonds and pistachios for garnish (optional)
– Add evaporated milk, cream and sugar in a bowl and beat for exact 10 mins using electric stand mixer. (you may use electric hand beater as well, its just that its a bit of an effort to beat it so better fix it on a stand mixer and set a timer for 10 mins)
– Keep the bowl in freezer and let it stay there for 2 hours.
– Take it out and beat again for 10 mins. Freeze again for 2 hours.
– Once again take out and beat for 10 mins, Freeze for 2 hours.
– Finally for the fourth and last time beat it for 10 mins. With every episode of beating and freezing you will realize that the mixture has become thicker and fluffier. It will increase in volume too and the texture will be creamier and smoother. When done with the final beating, pour it into a serving dish or individual molds as you desire. It is easy to take it out of any mold so you may use any shape or size. I prefer silicon molds because they are so handy to use. You may even freeze it in a Pyrex dish or plastic box and use scoop spoon to serve it. Lastly sprinkle chopped almonds and pistachios over them or if you like them more then add handful and mix with spatula.
– Freeze it overnight.
– Serve as it is or you may add any flavored syrups and toppings too.
– With so less ingredients and so much ease you make a Kulfa that’s to die for. Try it and do let me know how much your family and friends loved it.
The beating time of ten mins is compulsory because it helps rise and smooth-en the texture perfectly. Similarly the freezing time of 2 hours is important too, if its less the Kulfa wont set and if its more than it will harden much and you wont be able to beat it again.