A dish you will find in every South Asian restaurant especially a traditional Pakistani eatery. Small bits of boneless chicken, cooked in tomato and yogurt along with spicy tangy flavors, served with ginger, green chilies and dollops of butter !!! yum i am already drooling over this traditional yet toothsome meal, i have grown up savoring.
This is usually cooked in earthenware or metal pot, known as handi and ofcourse that is where the name comes from. But still you can make it in your homey pans for ease and availability.
Here is a perfectly fool proof recipe for Achari handi. Follow the steps properly and you will prepare an absolute treat your family and guests will LOVE.. 🙂
Boneless chicken cubes – 500 g
Oil – 4 tbsp
Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tsp
Salt – 1 & 1/2 tsp (or to taste)
Red chili powder – 2 tsp (heaped)
Fenugreek (Methi seeds) – 1 & 1/2 tsp
Nigella seeds (kalongi) – 1 & 1/2 tsp
Fennel seeds (soanf) – 2 tsp
Cinnamon – 1 stick
Lemon juice – 2 tbsp
Turmeric (haldi) – 1/2 tsp
Brown Onion – 2 tbsp
Chopped Garlic – 1 tsp
Whole red Chilies (round) – 5
Tomato paste – 6 tbsp
Yogurt – 6 tbsp
Ginger – For garnishing, julienne cut
Green chilies – For garnishing, chopped
Cream – 6 tbsp
Butter – 1 tbsp
– Heat oil in a pan, add garlic and saute.
– Add chicken and fry till white.
– Add g/g paste and continue frying on high flame.
– Add fenugreek, nigella, whole red chilies, turmeric, salt, chili powder, lemon juice, cinnamon, fennel and keep mixing for 5 mins.
– Add brown onion and tomato paste, let cook on high flame.
– When almost 80% cooked add yogurt and continue stirring.
– When its fully cooked and gravy leaves oil, add cream and cook for few mins.
– Remove from stove, Pour in the serving dish and garnish with ginger, butter and green chilies.
Savor with your choice of naan, Arabic bread, rice or paratha as you like.
I am absolutely sure that you are going to love this delicious and flavorsome dish. Do let me know how your Handi turns out 🙂