These are the basic and easiest sugar cookies, mainly made from sugar, eggs and flour. The mixture is rolled as a dough and shaped as desired with cutters or by hand.
These may be decorated with royal icing, fondant or coated with melted chocolates. That is how kids usually like them, but of course they are tasty as it is, when freshly baked. My theme for these cookies was Firetruck, matching with my son’s Firefighter birthday theme 🙂
Following recipe makes about 2 batches of cookie trays, approximately 30-35 cookies:
Plain Flour – 275 g
Sugar – 100 g
Egg – 1 large
Baking Powder – 1 tsp (optional)
Salt – 1/4 tsp
Vanilla Essence – 1/2 tsp
Butter – 200 g (room temperature, but not very soft)
– Beat butter with sugar. Then add egg, beat well. Add all other ingredients and mix. (Baking powder is optional, don’t add in case you don’t want your cookies to rise.)
– Drop this mixture over cling wrap, press with hands to become dough ball, cover tightly and refrigerate for 30 mins.
– Roll out on the floured kitchen counter. Cut shapes as you like.
– Place on the prepared baking tray and refrigerate again for 10 mins to firm them well.
– Bake in a preheated oven at 160 degrees C, for 15-20 mins or according to your oven.
– Let cool on room temperature. Decorate as you like.
– I decorated them with sugar paste dyed in red and black to match with the fire truck cake 🙂
Do try them and let me know how your cookies turned out, Mine were a BIG HIT on the birthday bash !