Pink tea, also known as a Kashmiri tea or noon tea is very famous among South Asia and as known by name, belongs to a heaven on earth “Kashmir”.
Traditionally in Kashmir it is consumed on daily basis along with breads and pastries, while in other parts of Pakistan it is savored as a special beverage made for parties and events. It is served the most during winters alongside mixed nuts.
The specialty of this tea lies within its ingredients and method of preparation. The ingredients mainly comprise of tea leaves, salt, baking soda, milk and nuts, while method includes addition of cold water in two episodes. Following is a very easy recipe that yields around 4 cups of pink tea.
Tea leaves – 2 tbsp (heaps)
Cold water – 32 oz (4 cups)
Cold water – 12 oz (1 & 1/2 cup)
Star anise (illicium verum, chinese star, Badiam) – 1
Salt – 1/4 tsp
Baking Soda – 1/2 tsp
Milk – 32 oz ( 4 cups )
Green cardamom – 6
Sugar – 4 tbsp (or to taste)
– In a saucepan add 4 cups cold water , tea leaves, salt, star anise, cardamoms and place it over high flame. Let it come to boil. Then reduce flame to medium and cook covered for 30 mins. (check on intervals so that the water doesn’t dry out)
– After half an hour, add 1& 1/2 cup cold water along with baking soda and start stirring continuously. Stir vigorously for 5 mins. This step helps yielding perfect pick color for the tea.
– If you want to make a tea right away then add sugar and milk and let it boil for 3-4 mins. Strain and serve hot with tablespoon of crushed nuts in each cup.
– Otherwise let it come to room temperature, then strain it in any glass jug or bottle (avoid using plastic). Refrigerate it for as long as 10 days. When ever crave for it, take half cup and add milk as you desire, boil for 2-3 mins and hola !! your delicious tea is ready.
– I prefer making it in advance and refrigerating, it helps save time and i can manage everything well ahead of any party, when time to serve, all you need is to add milk and sugar and boil for 2-3 mins. There you have a 5 star flavor tea with so much easy at home.